Friday, December 11, 2015

Recipes, substitutes, and DYI tricks

Having food storage is great, but knowing how to use it is where it really helps you. Over the last few months I have found that I save a great deal of money by substituting something I already have in my food storage for something I need in a recipe but don't have. I save money because I'm not running to the store to buy the exact product the recipe calls for, and I can rotate my food storage. It has also helped my family eat healthier and be more efficient. I find that usually my substitutes are cheaper to use on a regular basis, and it makes my food taste great too.
For example, did you know you can substitute mashed banana for the fat in baking products?  I would never do it in cookies unless they were oatmeal or something, but for muffins, cakes, and sweet breads, it's great! It's also way cheaper for me to buy bananas at Ridley's for $0.29/lb and then freeze them than it is for me to buy oil. In addition, it's healthier.

Another example: did you know you can make your own condensed cream of chicken soup, for a fraction of the cost it is to buy it in a can?  It tastes great, works just like the canned soup for casseroles and other recipes (does it really have any other uses? Just kidding, I just only ever use it as a filler in larger recipes), and doesn't have all the chemicals and preservatives that the canned soup has. I also get to season it however I want.

This section of my blog will be dedicated to DIY recipes and substitutes that I use often. Since I discovered that I could just make it myself or substitute something else that's usually cheaper and healthier, I haven't purchased cream soups, enchilada sauce, fajita sauce or mix, ranch dressing mix (although I still buy the dressing itself because my husband is particular about his Ranch Dressing), eggs for baking, Alfredo sauce, and even tomato sauce. Those are just a few to name. It has greatly helped our budget, and also helps me to rotate my food storage.

Hopefully this helps you be more efficient with your groceries!

No comments:

Post a Comment